Saturday, November 26, 2011

I'm Thankful for Sunday Mornings and Patient People


I hope this blog post finds you all stuffed with Thanksgiving cheer (and food!) and fully in the spirit of the holidays. I know my family has already booked our tickets to see The Nutcracker ballet (a yearly tradition,) scheduled our Christmas party and sent out invitation, and will be getting our Christmas tree today to decorate. This time of year is also a time in my family to reflect on the year and prepare for the next one. I am surprisingly proud of myself sometimes by being able to stop and be thankful for everything that I have been blessed with. Sure, the days are long. And of course, some of them don't go the way I would prefer. But everyday is a beautiful day because I have my health and the health of my family and friends. I have the opportunity to get an education and pursue my dreams. I have the love and support of my family, my biggest cheerleaders. And I have a well instilled work ethic and sense of self that helps me be successful everyday. Thanksgiving Thursday especially was an opportunity for my family and I to reflect on all the wonders for which we are thankful. Here are just a few things we shared with each other as we enjoyed our Thanksgiving day feast and festivities.

1. Having so many things that I am passionate about, like dancing, cooking, healthy living, and promoting campus involvement, just to name a few.
2. Perfecting the art of Euchre, a card game almost my entire plays now, and sometimes on a rare occasion being able to beat my dad.
3. As mentioned above, the health of my family and friends, and more specifically, the fact that the only pain in my butt is the fact that I am blind as a bat - it could be so much worse.
4. Curling up with a good book next to one of our fireplaces with a mug of tea and blanket. And how it is now the season for such relaxation techniques.
5. Starting our Christmas cookie baking... and listening to Christmas music whilst mixing and measuring.
6. Having the opportunity (and time!) to catch up with old friends while I am home and rekindling the connections that weaken over time and distance.
7. Planning and prepping for my family's upcoming Christmas party - and using this excuse to devour even more cookbooks and blogs for recipes and decorating ideas.
8. Having fresh cranberries available for EVERYTHING, from muffins and quick breads, to marinades, chutneys, and pan sauces. I love cranberries!
9. My mom's incredibly well stocked kitchen. And her willingness to allow me to hog it every time I come home. Enough said.
10. Starting classes again tomorrow after a five day break. Call me crazy but I am so fortunate to be able to better myself to make my dreams a reality. (I will work to keep this in mind when I get up for class tomorrow morning...)

I hope you all take a moment to also be thankful for all you have in your lives as well. 'Tis the season to be thankful.

1 comment: