Thursday, February 9, 2012

Ode to Hash

 Hi friends! T.F. (almost) F.

I was able to stay away from the chocolate this evening. Achievement? I think so.

But I feel into another trap - breakfast for dinner. Which I have done for three nights in a row now. Bad thing? I think not. It's nutritious, tasty, quick to prepare, you don't need a lot of ingredients, not to mention the fact that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So why not eat it twice?


And now, my ode to hash. Hash, what a fabulous fruit. It is diverse and flexible, you simply can't mess it up, and you simply can't eat the same hash twice, I'm convinced it's impossible. I took this opportunity to clean out the fridge before traveling home for the weekend. I was able to use a left over potato, some red bell pepper, a sweet onion, and some chipotle and chili powder to make a spicy savory version. By letting the raw diced potatoes steam a bit in a shallow skillet with some chicken broth, then cooking off the liquid and crisping the veggies, I was able to impart some great, cooked-all-day flavor to my hash. MMMM...


Topped here with a perfectly poached egg (still my favorite way to prepare eggs), some seared turkey smoked sausage, and topped with a shred of cheddar cheese and chopped parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment