Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Coffee in the PM

Since being home for break, which started on Saturday, I have:

  • Attended Cincinnati Ballet's new rendition of The Nutcracker (a yearly tradition in my family and fabulous by anyone's standards)
  • Written a plethora of blogs so that I can still post regularly once class is back in session in January
  • Had 3 inches cut off my hair so that I can start the new year with a fresh new look
  • Finished my parents' and grandparents' Christmas presents (a HUGE 5 month undertaking, let me assure you - more on these after Christmas)
  • Wrapped up my holiday wrapping and now all my gifts are snuggled under our tree, adding to the festive decorations
  • Completed a lengthy end-of-semester report for the Student Government Executive Branch (of which I am a program director)
  • Caught up on all my year end bills/email/general nonsense that was standing in my way of completely enjoying my break from all things work related
  • Almost completed my first book of the break and contemplated which one will be my next great read
And just today I have:
  • Spent a luxurious amount of time browsing Kroger's specialty foods section
  • Planned the next six days of meals in our household (including Christmas Eve dinner and Christmas Day brunch)
  • Made three batches of biscotti (which I am now enjoying with my early evening coffee)
  • Assembled a vegetable lasagna for tonight's dinner after my sister's band and orchestra concerts - yes, she does both. 
  • Prepped my mise en place for our dinners for the rest of the week so I can frolic about by day and still put a yummy dinner on the table at night
  • Planned a trip to Findlay Market downtown and the Festival of Lights at the Cincinnati Zoo
Due to all of this productivity, there has been lots of:
  • Coffee drinking at odd hours of the day/night (including 5:14pm today)
  • 15 minute cat-naps on my living room couch or sprawled out on the floor with my puppies, which I have missed oh so much
  • Sleeping in past 8am (though tomorrow I plan on getting up early and going for a hike - there is only so much lazy a gal can take before she goes stir crazy)
  • Finding comfy places all around the house in which to curl up with a book, mug of tea, and my laptop to blog, read, peruse my favorite websites blogs, or just sit and enjoy the spirit of the holidays.
The vegetable lasagna I made today was chock full of all those veggies some people don't like to eat but really should because they are good for you (like spinach and broccoli.) That being said, I stocked up on veggies today and put them all in the Italian treat, layering with whole wheat lasagna noodles, chunky tomato sauce, and fat free ricotta cheese filling. I love taking the guilt out of eating good tasting food, and by sneaking a few servings of veggies in there and cutting out the fat and calories, I think this is a great way to do just that for the holidays.
Mix of zucchini, red bell peppers, broccoli, onion, and carrot, all sauteed with oregano, basil, parsley, and garlic.

Beginning the layering process...

Fresh spinach leaves on top of the cheese mixture


Topped off with some more chunky tomato sauce and a sprinkling of mozzarella cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment