Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Favorite Meal of All Time

I get this question a lot - What is your favorite meal of all time? Tough question, as there is so much delicious food out there, but I have a simple answer. 

Stewed pinto beans with ham hock and cornbread. Preferably accompanied by fresh garden tomatoes and cucumbers. It goes to prove that the best things in life are simple.



The best things in life are also eaten with Scuba Steve spoons...


In the spirit of a simple dinner, I shall keep this post short and simple.

Here is the simple recipe. Happy Country Cooking!


Stewed Pinto Beans

1 pound bag dried pinto beans
1 left over ham hock (no ham hock on hand? Diced thick cut ham will to the trick also)

Wash and pick through the beans to remove any superfluous stones or debris (get rid of any flavor packet that may or may not come with your beans - ick.) Place dried beans in large-ish stock pot and cover generously with water. Let soak on counter overnight. Drain and rinse again, cover beans with water, add ham hock, and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until tender, stirring occasionally.

Told you it was simple.


3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of a recipe that my mamaw always used to make.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is exactly where I got this recipe actually, from my Mommaw. She is the BEST country cook - I should just go to the culinary school of Mommaw.

    ReplyDelete