Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter Weekend: Part I

I hope you all had a wonderful Easter holiday this past weekend! Mine was perfect, filled with a long visit with my sister, fun in the sun while wearing pretty dresses, and of course, lots of yummy food! Here is part one of my weekend, in picture form.

A yummy, protein packed breakfast I made for Shelby and I before we headed to the racetrack for the day. Toasted bagel thins, fresh tomato slices, fried eggs, and scallion. Simplicity at its best.

I overcooked my eggs a little bit, but they were nonetheless delicious.

Shelby and I at Keeneland Horse Track. We felt oh so glamorous in our Derby hats, and I even won $20!

Shelby's very first plate of sushi! Now we just need to work on her chopstick skills...

From left to right: BBQ eel roll, tempura shrimp roll, and california roll.

Shelby and I also tried Local Taco, a restaurant that just opened up down the street from campus. Since we are both suckers for Tex-Mex, we just had to go. And I've already been back - scumptious!

Blackened yellowfin tuna, seared with pico de gallo and arugula, served on a homemade tortilla.

Pulled brisket in mole sauce, topped with pickled onion and cilantro, also atop a freshly made tortilla.

Stay tuned for Easter weekend, part two and three!

12 comments:

  1. The blackened yellowfin tuna looks amazing. I'm a huge fan of seafood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, thank you so much for the wonderful comments that you leave on my blog. They don't go unnoticed. Also, the picture of you and Shelby is a beautiful picture. Have a great Thursday my friend.

      Delete
    2. Right back at you! I am an avid email and blog checker (almost compulsive) and I always respond to comments with fervor and excitement (someone is actually reading what I write!)Happy Thursday!

      Delete
  2. Oh my god, how has your sister never had sushi before?! It's my all-time favorite indulgence (just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!).

    Lovely post though, you and your sister look so much alike! I'm sure you get that alot, haha

    Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see more of your posts!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. That is why she has sisters like me to introduce her to wonderful culinary treats such as sushi. I had to ween myself into the sushi world too, but now that I have I am completely addicted. I think she might be getting hooked too.

      Shelby and I do look a lot alike, and we both love hearing it, so thank you!

      Be on the look out for more posts! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. O wow your so pretty! LOVE the hats, it's so southern and lovely! You and your sister are beautiful! And wow, sounds like a great Easter weekend full of delish foods!

    I've never had sushi either to be honest it kind of freaks me out but eventually i will try it!!

    Happy easter and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sushi is an acquire taste for sure - actually, it isn't so much about the taste as it is about the textures. Sushi has almost every texture and mouth feel there is in one little bite, and we aren't used to that in our typical American cuisine. Even textures like "chewy" (the seaweed wrapper) and "sticky" (the sushi rice), which we don't embrace in our diets, are present in a bite of sushi. It really is an experience, one I encourage everyone to try at least once!

    Thank you for the wonderfully sweet comments about my sister and I! You are too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG i LOVE Shelby's dress! Where is it from?? The neckline is gorgeous!!

    Anyway, those pictures are absolutely mouthwatering!! It's really starting to look like Summer!!

    I have to agree with the other commenter, you and Shelby look SO much alike, especially since you have the same hair and eyes and hats!! I totally wish my hair was naturally curly like you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally starting to look like summer! What a wonderful time of year. And our local Farmers' Market opens this weekend, I couldn't be more excited!

      Thank you for all the wonderful compliments, those are very sweet of you. We are both blessed with my dad's curly hair.

      Delete
  6. Whoa you guys have like the exact same eyes, lol!

    I LOVE texmex (not so much sushi...ick), and now i really want sum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness this post makes me so very hungry, and for so many different flavors! What a wonderful day you and your beautiful sister had. Thanks for letting us share your memory!

    ReplyDelete