Thursday, April 19, 2012

I FINALLY MADE A PULLED PORK SANDWICH!

There should be more capital letters up there, because I am THAT excited to finally get my pulled pork sandwich. FINALLY! (Yes, finally. Remember when I was pulled pork-less? Yeah, it was a sad time for me too.)

I accompanied my pulled pork (!!!) with an Asian inspired slaw. But really, all I cared about was the pulled pork. Happy happy day!




I'm really not THAT big of a pulled pork fan, for those of you who are just tuning in. I have just had a hankering for a saucy, slightly spicy, pulled pork sandwich for AGES now. And FINALLY I can put that craving to bed and move on to something else. Because that's how I roll.

Two recipes for you today!

Asian Slaw
1/2 head green cabbage
1/2 yellow pepper, thinly sliced
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
3 green onions, finely sliced
1/4 cup parsley, minced

Dressing:
1/4 cup jalapeno peach preserves
1/2 cup olive oil
1 TB sesame oil
red pepper flakes and salt, to taste

Mix the salad ingredients together and set aside. Melt the preserves with a splash of water in the microwave. Whisk to smooth the now melted jam, then whisk in the olive oil to create a suspension. Whisk in the sesame oil to incorporate, toss in some red pepper flakes and season with salt. Toss with salad ingredients and let sit for an hour or so.Optional: Top with toasted sesame seeds or almonds (I obviously didn't have either.)



Homemade Barbecue Sauce
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, pasted with salt
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup mustard
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce 
2 tsp black pepper
hot sauce, to taste

Heat a medium sauce pot with just a teaspoon or so of oil. Cook onions and garlic just enough to lightly caramelize the sugars in the onions. Add the rest of the ingredients and turn the heat down to medium low. If the chunks of the onion bother you then you can now puree your barbecue sauce with an immersion blender, regular blender, or food processor. Just be careful because it's hot! Allow sauce to simmer for an hour or so, then add in your pulled pork and let all that marry a few hours over low heat, or sit overnight and reheat. 


No comments:

Post a Comment