Saturday, March 24, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Supper

One of my favorite vegetables of all time is spaghetti squash, followed closely by kale, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts. For those of you who haven't worked with it before, go out to the store right now and buy one. Seriously. Grab your keys, grab your wallet, get in your car, and drive to the store and get one of these babies. I'll wait here...

Ok, now that you're back, get ready for a yummy dinner! Spaghetti squash is about the size of a Nerf softball but heavy for their size. They have a smooth, light yellow skin and can be found with the other various squashes, usually being refrigerated. Once baked, the insides can be scooped out to make perfect "spaghetti" strands, and they can even be baked to al dente, for those of you who, like me, like a bite to their pasta. Top off the strands with your favorite sauce (I thawed out some homemade stuff made with spinach, chunky tomatoes, onions, garlic, bell peppers, and lots of basil.) Talk about your veggie servings for the day!


Baked Spaghetti Squash

1 spaghetti squash

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Pierce the squash skin with a paring knife and place in a baking dish, whole. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until, when pierced with a paring knife, the squash is tender.

Allow to cool until you can handle it, then slice in half and scrap out the insides with a fork. Now you have yummy spaghetti that is just as versatile as the wheat-based alternative. Toss with some browned butter and sage, top with sauce (like I did here,) or bake in a torta with some eggs and parmesan cheese, crowned with fresh tomato chutney. 


Feel free to let me know how you like your spaghetti squash that I just made you go out and buy!

5 comments:

  1. I need to stop reading these posts because every time I do I get super hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely compliment! In that case, I'll keep the posts coming!

      Delete
    2. LOL not fair! Hey I didn't realize that we're both UK students. I'm a grad student there! Thank you for your lovely comment just now on my elderly post.

      Delete
    3. Hey, no need to thank me for commenting - us bloggers need to stick together and support each other! Yeah, I'm a senior getting ready to graduate in May.

      Delete
    4. Yes mam'am you're right us blogger certainly need to support one another. Looking forward to your next post - even though I know it will make me hungry!

      Delete